Sigma lenses are popular amongst many photographers for two reasons… They either offer a very similar product to what the major camera manufacturers do, but at a lower price point, or occasionally Sigma offer something completely different. Examples of where Sigma offer something different include their extreme wide angle optics and their f/2.8 super telephoto zooms, such as their 120-300mm f/2.8.
I’ve used many Sigma lenses in the past, when working to a tighter budget and for the most part, I’ve been pleased with the performance they offer. If you’re considering a Sigma lens, it’s worth checking plenty of reviews from various independent sources before making your final decision, as some lenses represent amazing value, on the other hand, some lenses may fall short of expectations.
Here is a list of all the Sigma lenses I’ve tested so far, wiht links to the full test on ePHOTOzine, accompanied with a brief comment of my overall impression of the lens.
Sigma Zoom Lens Tests & Reviews
- Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Not a bad choice for those looking for a better standard lens then their kit optic, if constrained by a tight budget.
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Interchangeable Lens Review
Not the sharpest 70-300mm available. Those on a budget may want to consider one of the manufacturer’s own or one without stabilisation.
- Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
There are much better lenses available that cover this range, for not a lot more money.
- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
A pretty good performer all considered. Could be worth the extra over the variable aperture version if you often shoot wide angle at faster apertures.
- Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
A cracking telephoto zoom. Especially useful for wildlife on a crop sensor camera.
- Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Not the best performance at 500mm, which is where most will want it to perform at its best.
- Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Interchangeable Lens Review
Superzooms are always a bit of a compromise, although this one’s not bad at all.
- Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Not bad for the price. High sharpness in the centre isn’t matched towards the edges of the frame.
- Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
A really good lens for the price. Useful zoom range and sharp across the frame.
- Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
It could have been the lens I was given to test, however the performance at 70mm and f/2.8 was unacceptable.
- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Very good for the price nowadays, so long as you avoid shooting wide open at 70mm.
- Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
No other lens offers as wide a view on APS-C cameras. Centre performance is good, not so great towards the edges of the frame though.
- Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Pretty good value super-telephoto option.
- Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM Review
Very good for a budget superzoom.
- Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens Review
Again, very good for a budget superzoom.
Sigma Prime Lens Tests & Reviews
- Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX IF HSM Macro Interchangeable Lens Review
A very sharp lens. Available at bargainous prices since the OS version was released.
- Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro Interchangeable Lens Review
Not quite as sharp as the newer 70mm macro, or Tamron’s SP 90mm f/2.8.
- Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Interchangeable Lens Review
Sigma’s best Macro optic.
- Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Interchangeable Lens Review
A great quality fisheye. Fringing may be a problem for some folks though.
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
Some folks love this lens. Either I had a bad copy to test, or it’s just not that good. Expensive too.
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Interchangeable Lens Review
An excellent lens. Excellent value too.
- Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Review
Not bad performance for the price. A good intro to macro photography.
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens Review
If anyone from Sigma is reading this. I’d really like one of these lenses please! If I had the money, I’d buy one tomorrow.